Heil for DX Work
The pursuit of rare DX calls for a departure from the normal quest for the best fidelity. In a huge "pile-up" situation, hundreds or thousands of stations may be calling simultaneously, and the net effect is to create a "white noise" condition in which it is impossible for the DX station to pick out a callsign.
Recognizing this issue, Bob Heil set out to craft a new microphone element in which maximum talk power and "pile-up punch" would be obtained. The result was the renowned HC-4 "DX Dream Machine" element.
Boomsets for DX-pedition
Combination Boom Mics with Headsets are the choice of DX-pedition operators, as well as many who operate from home. The reason? They keep the operating desk uncluttered, and the microphone does not obscure the operator's view of the logging computer display that is undoubtedly in front of him or her.
The Pro Set 4 features a large earmuff-type earpiece cover, which provides plenty of outside sound rejection and features the Heil-exclusive Phase Reversal Switch that creates a unique spatial perception to the incoming signals in a pile-up making them easier to separate.
The Pro Set Plus(discontinued) features an oversized earmuff for comfort and outside noise reduction. It also includes the HC-4 and HC-5 elements.
All the above Boomsets require an AD-1-n Adapter Cable for interfacing to your transceiver. See the product compatibility charts for details.
Boomsets for Icom Rigs
All the above Boomsets will work very well with the latest generation of Icom high-end transceivers, including the IC-746 Pro, IC-756 (all Pro versions), and the IC-7800. These Icom rigs have sufficient mic amp gain to accommodate the dynamic HC-4 element, especially when the compression systems are engaged (not much compression is required). For more information on iCOM for DX check out All Things iCOM.
Desk Microphones for DX Work
The many benefits of the Heil Sound HC-4 DX Dream Machine mic element may also be realized in our extensive line of base station microphones.
The Handi Mic 4 is a 4 inch tall hand mic with a PTT switch on the microphone. It can also be mounted in a base station environment.
All the above desk mics require a CC-1-n Adapter Cable for interfacing to your transceiver. See the product compatibility charts for details.
A coiled version of the CC-1 adapter cable is available for a few models. These cables are the CH-1-i8/iM/K8/KM/Y8/YM.
Desk Mics for Icom Rigs
All the above desk microphones will work very well with the latest generation of Icom high-end transceivers, including the IC-746 Pro, IC-756 (all Pro versions), and the IC-7800. These Icom rigs have sufficient mic amp gain to accommodate the dynamic HC-4 element, especially when the compression systems are engaged (not much compression is required).
For more information on iCOM mics for DX check out the All Things iCOM page.
Requirements for DxPedition Sponsorship
The following are all of the requirements which must be met in order for Heil Sound Ltd. to sponsor a DxPedition.
- The size of the group leaving on any one DxPedition must be at least four individuals.
- The group or organization must have a web site which highlights the Dxpedition. A list of the individuals attending posted on the web site.
- All requests must be made in writing and sent to our headquarters at the following address: 5800 North Illinois St. Fairview Heights, IL. 62208
- A valid credit card number must be sent to Heil Sound Ltd. in advance of the shipment of the equipment. All of the supplied equipment plus shipping will be charged to the credit card prior to shipping of the equipment.
- All of the supplied equipment must be returned to Heil Sound, Ltd. 5800 North Illinois St. Fairview Heights, IL. 62208, in good condition, within 10 days of returning from the DxPedition.
- The credit card on file will then be credited for the items returned minus shipping costs.
- Participants may keep any of the items.